Tuesday, May 18, 2010

McAfee's knob. As you can see, it is foggy and there is no view.
I apologize for the lack of updates in the past several days, but they have been very trying, full of dramatic ups and downs (literally as well as figuratively, ha ha.) First off, I got poison ivy all over my shins the day before I got into Pearisburg. Then, in my motel, I saw a flier for trail magic 50 miles out. But I only had two days to get there. So of course I carefully weighed my options and chose the most awesome one: hike day and night and into the next day to get there. I arrived at the shelter that evening with about 30 miles to go, and this guy gave me some caffeine powder (which burnt my tongue). Night arrived swiftly. First, I hiked over a rocky, slippery ridge line in a thunder storm. There were deer everywhere and let me tell you they are terrifying when you are alone in the woods at night and all you can see are their sickly green eyes and emaciated outlines. To be
continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment