Friday, April 23, 2010

So right now I'm in Gatlinburg. I got into Newfound Gap this morning and had a hell of a time getting a ride, even with this girl 'Ups' standing next to me pretending she needed a ride too. Lousy tourists. Finally this church group consisting mostly of old ladies picked me up in their shuttle. They were all very friendly, and one of them had ducked out of their lunch arrangement to go meet her cousin, so they took me with them to this restaurant called 'The Apple Barn'. I had more fried chicken than I've ever previously eaten in one sitting. After thanking them profusely, I spent the rest of the day wrestling with the nuances of the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge trolley system. I am swapping out some of my gear for lighter alternatives, notably water purification and ground cover. I hope to drop about five pounds. Tomorrow I'm taking a zero day because there's going to be a really severe
thunder storm, and I'd rather not be caught in the mountains for it.
CB#: 617-913-8954

5 comments:

  1. guess you could call rain, wind, hail and tornados severe weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reed. I'm one of the "old ladies" in the church bus. We really enjoyed visiting with you. We talked and prayed for you on our way home to Mississippi today. Be safe and enjoy God's beautiful creation. Know we are all praying for you daily.
    Cindy Holt
    Twin Lakes Baptist Church
    Madison, Ms

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cindy! I'm Reed's mom and I am very grateful to you and your friends. I also wondered just how old one has to be to qualify as an "old lady".
    Lee Lockwood
    Carlisle, MA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Reed, I am Judy a fellow Yankee from Massachusetts. We were delighted to have you join us in the trip down the mountain to Gatlinburg and having lunch with us. Even though we are OLD, we did learn a lot from you and your experiences thus far.
    p.s. i suppose that at your young age, 60s is very old. Enjoy your trip and stay safe
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lee. As a mother too, I'm sure you are curious and probably a little worried about the people your son meets up with on this journey. He is wonderful young man, very sweet soft spoken to all of us "old ladies". We are a senior adult group from Twin Lakes Baptist Church in Madison, Mississippi. We range in age from 50-82. Mostly ladies with us on this trip but we did have 3 men with us too. I know we drilled Reid with questions. We were all so curious why someone would choose to do this trip. But we do admire him for it. Our pastor, Hugh Smith, who was with us on this trip mentioned Reid this morning in his message to us at church. Just want you to know that we are all praying for him. We will also follow him on his journey thru his blog.
    thanks,
    Cindy Holt

    ReplyDelete